It is not secret that we love where we are from. We do so much, that it is in our brand’s name! So, it only seemed fitting for us to make a list of 15 reasons we love living in Duluth, Minnesota. Lets start, shall we?
1. The first reason we love making our home in this community of quality living is for none other than what is on our backyard. The largest fresh water body of water surrounds our existence which is specifically known as the beautiful Lake Superior. The vast body of water not only is our source of the freshest drinking water, but provides us with memories like, sailboating, fishing, swimming, and pebble throwing.
2. Another element that makes us fall in love with Duluth, MN time and time again are the extensive list of outdoor activities that our natural habitat provides us with. Just over a year ago, Duluth was voted the #1 Outdoor City in the country by Outside Magazine (read the article here ). The options are endless, especially with a four season city. Running trails, bikes lanes, mountain biking trails, fishing, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, boating, and swimming are just a small grouping of all the outdoors activities the Duluth, Minnesota location provides.
3. Speaking of activities. Duluth hosts each June the internationally recognized running marathon, Grandma’s Marathon. Athletes from around the world visit our city on a hill to run along the scenic view near Lake Superior. To add to this, our retail store is so conveniently located right at the finish line in Canal Park. P.s. Free parking in back!
4. Duluth wouldn’t be the community it is without the individuals who call it home. Duluth’s population is roughly 86,000 people and is filled with people who invest in giving back. Duluthians are proud of where they call home and open their doors to opportunities of growth. For example, each winter season near Bayfront Festival Park, a light show of hundreds of thousands of lights and volunteers with hearts bigger than their bodies create a spectacular location called, Bentleyville. Duluth’s community is not about 86,000 individuals, it’s about one big community with loyalty and heart.
5. Speaking of Bayfront, Duluth houses one of the coolest outdoor festival events at Bayfront Festival Park. It is conveniently located near the Aerial Lift Bridge and Canal Park region. Large artists and bands come out to perform their latest and greatest hits to the audience sitting in the grass and sipping on local brews. For example, Bob Dylan, a local of Duluth just recently performed along with country star, Dierks Bentley.
6. Probably the most legendary landmark that is associated with Duluth, Minnesota rather than the tip of Lake Superior is the Aerial Lift Bridge. As one of only two bridges in the world to physically lift up and down to tailor to large iron oar ships coming into the harbor and it operates 24 hours a day by conveniently allowing cars to cross over to the Park Point sand beach area in Duluth. Depending on the season and occasion, the Aerial Lift Bridge in Duluth, has lights shine in different colors. During Independence Day, you will find the American hues of red, white, and blue lit up among it’s metal along with a pink color for Breast Cancer Awareness month.
7. Among the water, Duluth’s air quality is second to none. With some of the freshest air around, the Duluth population has little to worry about with smog occurrences. Sometimes there is just nothing better than a deep breath of good and clean fresh air. Am I right?
8. As we mentioned, Duluth is a community driven city that promotes small businesses, growth for their neighbors, and creating a life of quality for the next generations to come. Duluth’s safety as an entire city is tremendous. With multiple neighborhoods, cul-de-sacs, and new resident establishes developing, it’s exciting to see the schools booming in populations and updates and with little crime rates. Trust us, Duluthians are willing to help you out. If you’re in need of help, you’ll probably have to wait 10 seconds before someone jumps in.
9. During the winter season, a very well known sport with the name of Hockey is showcased on outdoor and indoor rinks around the state. As the state of Hockey as a whole, the Duluth community rings in the winter season well with multiple high school teams who attend the High School Hockey Tournament. Duluth also houses the D1 Hockey team, The University of Minnesota Duluth Bulldogs, which games are conveniently played near Canal Park at the beautiful AMSOIL Arena facility.
10. The local beer scene is one many demographics have picked up on, but Duluth has been brewing local liquids for years. As a brand that is great friends with non other than the legendary The Brewhouse located in the Fitger’s building on Superior St, it’s fantastic to see the demand increase. Throughout the downtown Duluth scene, you will come across multiple different breweries, distilleries, or bars that are promoting local beverages for not only the locals to enjoy, but tourists as well. A newer distillery called, Vikre, which specializes in whiskey and gin is only a block away from our flagship store.
11. BWCAW. 5 letters and many years of memories. Only a few short hours away from the peaceful lakes of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, is Duluth. As our existence at Duluth Pack first started as being the original Boundary Waters Canoe Pack, we have a soft spot in our hearts each summer for taking the trek to portage and be among the beautiful nature. We are lucky its only a short road trip away. P.s. Duluth Pack is the number one largest distributor of BWCAW permits in the world. If you need one, you know where to get it.
12. Hike that SHT. As in the Superior Hiking Trail. The Superior Hiking Trail or abbreviated version (SHT) is 310 mile footpath of pure backpacking and hiking heaven. The tail end of this endeavor runs right through our backyard. Since Duluth is such an outdoor community and pet lovers, the SHT allows dogs with leashes to be involved on your journey as well. In the past year, Duluth Pack has proudly adopted a 7 mile portion of the SHT to clean and maintain for all to enjoy. For more information on the Superior Hiking Trial, please visit the Superior Hiking Trail Association’s website here .
13. We couldn’t list just breweries without incorporating some grub as well. The local restaurant scene in Duluth is one not to miss. With pubs, diners, dives, and upscale eateries, Duluth has a range of food for any palette. Duluth is so well known for it’s delicious bites, that it has been featured on Food Network Channel’s show, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives . Anyone else hungry now?
14. Duluth’s music scene is one that is growing by the minute. Every year Locally Grown music festival is housed around local Duluth venues and one band that is always a hit is, Trampled By Turtles. This band has become a real household name and still promotes their roots right here in Duluth, Minnesota. Also, Duluth Pack launched a fun limited edition partnership style of bag that you can buy right here .
15. It only seemed fitting to start this post on the same concept, water. For the fact Duluth is a harbor city right on the most Western point on Lake Superior, Duluth has some of the purest and most crips drinking water your tastebuds will ever encounter. With fresh water just outside our doors, it makes drinking bottled water subpar. Tap water from Duluth is one that everyone mentions is one in million.
– From your friends at Duluth Pack!