It’s that time of year when people are shopping, making their lists, and checking them twice. The smell of gingerbread and hot chocolate is the air, with the twinkle of lights all around. It’s a busy time of year, and we all know the excitement (or headaches for some) that is brought on by holiday shopping. Budgeting for gifts, travel, food, and everything else can be trying, especially in today’s tough economic climate. Most shoppers are looking for bargains and deals, basically anything to stretch their dollar just a little further this holiday season.
Duluth Pack will be adding to the shopping festivities by offering their 3rd annual, and highly anticipated, 12 Days of Christmas daily specials. Starting December 5th and ending December 16th, Duluth Pack will have one (1) special offer per day with discounts up to 50% off. And to make it even more exciting, each daily offer will be kept secret until the email release each morning. For Duluth locals, the each daily offer will also be available for purchase at the Duluth Pack Flagship Store in historic Canal Park.
If you are interested in participating in this once-a-year event, all you need to do is sign up for the Duluth Pack email newsletter at DuluthPack.com.
On a personal note: thanks so much to Betsy Mistek who served as our guest blogger today. Great post Betsy.
With the advent of the digital camera everyone has become a photographer in one form or another. From the professional carrying the Canon 1Ds to the amateur with the built-in SmartPhone camera, the majority of people can capture an image at anytime. And whether your destination is the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness or Timbuktu, here are a couple simple tips to think about before you press the button.
- Fill the Frame – Once you have chosen your subject think about the elements that surround. Does all that sky enhance the photo or is it not necessary? If I remove all those trees branches and zoom in on my subject will it be a better photo? Now fill up that frame with your subject and let the background clutter fall away. And remember: the most powerful zoom lens you have is your feet, so get close to your subject.
- Rule of Thirds – There is an old saying among old photographers: “Dead center is dead boring.” When you are framing a photo draw mental lines, and divide it like a tic-tac-toe board. This works if you are framing a photo horizontally or vertically. Now, try to get your subject to fall on one of those lines you have mentally drawn. Better yet, get your focal point right where two of those lines cross. And for all landscape shots, get the horizon off the centerline.
- Not every photo has to be posed – The best travel photographers talk and interact with the people they are photographing. This not only creates a rapport with the subjects, but also gets them to relax and let down their guard. Great photos are captured when people are at ease and their most natural. A big smile or a cheesy grin becomes an image which is just that.
Next time you pull your camera out of the canoe pack give one, or a couple of these tips a try and see if you like your photos more. And when you capture that really special image from the trail send it to us here at Duluth Pack and we will post it online. Who knows you might even win our next photo contest and become a Duluth Pack celebrity.
We are always overwhelmed with the photographs we receive so we are excited for another round of photos for our contest. We are looking for winter photos with Duluth Pack products but they don’t need to be to win. Past winners have been on the front covers of our catalog!
Here are the details:
1. Submit your photos to [email protected]
2. Photos must be high-resolution and in digital format.
3. Photos must contain any product made by Duluth Pack.
4. You may submit as many photos as you wish.
5. Photos must be submitted by Midnight CST Wednesday, May 18th, 2011.
5. Duluth Pack will have rights to photos submitted and can be used for marketing purposes.
1st place = $100 Duluth Pack Gift Card
2nd place = $50 Duluth Pack Gift Card
3rd place = $25 Duluth Pack Gift Card
Thanks and have fun!
We will be at the Great Minnesota Get Together again this year! This is our favorite time of year! We get to get out on the road and meet our friends and fans, hear their stories, and of course make new friends. People are excited to see that our products are STILL made in Duluth, MN and have been for 128 years! Each bag is hand sewn, hand riveted and hand signed. We offer a lifetime guarantee on our craftsmanship!
After you ride the rides, and eat your fill of items on a stick, stop in and say hi! We are in the Empire Commons Building/Dairy Building. Home of the famous butterheads and milkshakes. Last year was a great year when we won the “Outstanding Consession” Award. So come and see why!
PS – A little tip, the “rueben-on-a-stick is amazing”. What is your favorite item on a stick?
Porier pack on our founder
I just realized what an oxymoron these two terms are. Duluth Pack and Blog. After 127 years we are steeped in a rich tradition, making packs the same way for years, our tried and true method. In 1882, what would our founder Camille Poirier, have to say about the concept of a blog? Unimaginable!
Yet, here we are launching our blog, acknowledging the fact that outside these factory walls life moves forward. Don’t get us wrong, we aren’t coming into the 21st century kicking and screaming. Moreover we are excited about a whole new world to share our history and our pride in craftsmanship. We plan on sharing a lot more as well. We love this company, city and surrounding lands. We have a product to fit in with anyone, anywhere. We can’t wait to begin to sharing the old with the new.