Open water is just around the corner and to get a head start toward planning your Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) adventure for 2012 head to Recreation.gov to reserve your permit. Making your permit reservation online is a fairly easy process and it takes one more thing off the check list before you head into the woods.
1. Go to Recreation.govand create an account with username and password.
2. Navigate to the BWCAW portion of the website.
3. On the left side of the screen choose; overnight paddle, your desired entry point, and entry date.
4. Now, one little trick as you are wandering around looking for an entry point, search by “Date Range Availability” to view the entry point for more than one day.
5. Select an available date to enter and click book permit.
6. Fill out form on the next page with the required information, entry date and entry point will already be in the appropriate boxes.
– Plug in the exit date. This is a flexible date, and can be changed. Entry date, however is a hard and fast date once you book the permit.
– Enter the number of people in your party, nine is the maximum and two is the minimum. You can always add and subtract people right up until the moment your permit is issued. If you are going to be a solo enter “two” now and the permit issuing station will amend to “one” on the day you pick up your permit.
– If your party has more than 9 people you will need two permits and you can’t travel or camp together.
– Enter the number of boats in the party, four is maximum. Like the number of people this can be changed until the moment your permit is issued.
- Permit Issuing Station – Choose Duluth Pack – if you don’t choose a station it will default to the ranger station closest your entry point.
- Enter names of alternate leaders, this is a great idea because if for some reason you as group leader can’t make the trip one of the alternate leaders can be issued the permit. Without alternate leaders identified nobody else can be issued the permit.
7. Place in shopping cart.
8. Pay with credit card.
9. Get your gear ready and in your canoe packs.
9. Pick up your permit at the Duluth Pack Store in Canal Park the day before or the day of your trip.
It is that easy. But if you would like to know more before booking your permit or routing your trip head on down to the Duluth Pack Store, and one of the experts will lay out the maps to help you plan your trip.